Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Brisbane flooded



Maybe my blog is for sad times, as these are the times I only seem to turn to it. This week I came to write about out floods. Last monday it rained and rained nothing new it had been raining for weeks. Harder and harder until the rain coming down the hills was like little waterfalls, and drains blocked with water that we drove through.

At home we watched the TV in horror as cars floated down the main street of Toowoomba and people were stuck on top of houses in their haste to escape the water. My girlfriend rang frantic because she had just left her son and daughter in a small town nearby the night before. I calmly said to her they will be fine as I watch the news flash up they are about to evacuate that town. (inside not so calm).

Brisbane will never flood as bad as 74 again, there is a dam to stop the water. Stay at home all the TV's announce, don't go out and if you live near the water leave now. Richard and I get a frantic text from his brother Help sandbagging NOW. It is unclear whether his street went under in 74.

I had to go to the chemist to pick up a script, and the city is eerily quiet, all the small shops are closed, I have to go to the next suburb to find a chemist open. So I snuck down to a known local flood area to take some photos, which is the photos below, this is our local skate park, the road is non existent , and still a strange quietness over all the people around, not quite believing that there is so much water and wondering when it will stop rising.

After it seems an eternity but really only 48hrs the water leaves as silently as it rose , and the cleanup begings, we went to a local suburb , Rocklea to help this first thing I noticed when I opened the door was the horrible smell, and tonight again after the rainstorm its around again. Like raw sewerage but worse if thats possible. Next is all the dead earthworms in the gutter.

Finally is the overwhelming amount of people that have come out to help, with brooms, water blasters, bob cats , trucks, gloved hands. And Food and drink everywhere. It was amazing and heartwarming to see and made my whole family proud to be apart of it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Making my way through life trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Followers